Helping Students Become College Ready
What is AVID?
AVID is a global non-profit organization that works with schools and districts to provide direct support for students in grades K-16 who have the potential of becoming first-generation college students. In Roseville Area Schools, AVID supports students in grades 7-12 with a school-wide curriculum and rigorous expectations.
The AVID Mission
The mission of AVID is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
The AVID Student Profile
AVID students have academic potential with average to high test scores. They have:
- GPAs between 2.0 and 3.5
- College potential with support
- Desire and determination to be successful
They may be:
- The first in their families to attend college
- Historically underserved in four-year colleges
- From low income families
- Experiencing special circumstances such as being raised by a non-custodial family member
The AVID Elective Class
Held during the regular school day, the elective class is the foundation of AVID. The curriculum focuses on writing, college and careers, strategies for success, and critical reading. WICOR learning strategies – Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading – are used to develop skills for college and beyond.
Classroom tutors are a critical component in the AVID classroom. They manage the system's collaborative study groups, writing groups, and Socratic seminars.
Besides the AVID elective class, students take other rigorous courses throughout their school day and are given the support they need to be successful. They are expected to maintain a C or better in all of their classes, as well as display good citizenship, to remain in AVID.
For More Information
- Anne Barnes AVID Site Coordinator Roseville Area High School firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tana Bogenholm AVID Site Coordinator Roseville Area Middle School email@example.com
- Laura Freer AVID Site Coordinator Fairview Alternative High School firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on District 623 AVID System, contact: