Voices, a Student Literary and Art Publication: 2021 edition
Welcome to the homepage of Voices, a district-produced student literary and art publication. Our goal in creating Voices is to provide an exciting and meaningful outlet for students of all ages to create and share personal written work or pieces of visual art. Voices wasn't published in 2019, but returned in 2020 despite the closure of schools due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Following are links to previous editions that were mailed to all households in our school district. We are excited and proud to have this opportunity to feature the extraordinary work and compelling perspectives of our students!
The theme of the 2021 edition is POWER. We hope to highlight the power that our students’ voices and viewpoints hold, from early childhood through high school.
- We’re looking for student writing and artwork to publish with the summer issue of 623 Today.
- Writing can include poetry, prose, short essays, etc., and should be no longer than 300 words.
- Artwork can include painting, drawings, photography, digital artwork, photos of 3D art, etc., and if possible, should be scanned at 300 dpi for high resolution.
- Remind students to write or create artwork related to the theme of POWER.
- Students might find it helpful to brainstorm examples of power. Remind them to give it time past the stage of “I think I’m out of ideas” to come up with new, creative ideas and thoughts.
- Here are some questions related to power. Students can create more.
- Where does power come from? What forms of power are there? Is power seen or unseen? When do you feel powerful? How is power used or abused? What does power look, sound, and/or feel like?
- Pieces that aren’t selected for print publication may be included online, so we’re encouraging wide participation across the district, from preschool to 12th grade.
- Students should submit their entries using our Google form.
- All submissions must be received by the end of the day, May 15, 2021.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. We are excited and proud to have this opportunity to feature the extraordinary work and compelling perspectives of our students!