Statewide Health Improvement Partnership (SHIP)
The Statewide Health Improvement Partnership (SHIP) is a health reform program for Minnesota that aims to make healthy choices easier for all Minnesotans. The program focuses on increasing physical activity, improving nutrition, and reducing the number of people who use and are exposed to tobacco.
SHIP at Roseville Area Schools
Roseville Area Schools is dedicated to developing students. Besides helping students achieve academically, the district also strives to teach healthy practices by:
- Teaching about gardening and farm-to-table nutrition
- Installing bike racks and fixing stations at the district buildings to increase bike riding
- Purchasing composters to aid gardening while teaching students about the environment
- Implementing Active Classroom strategies and providing resources in the elementary schools
- Holding Active Recess to support and encourage physical activity in elementary students
- Partnership with the Alliance for a Healthier Generation to over support and resources for School Health and Safety Policies and Environment, Health Education, PE and other Physical Activity Programs, Nutrition Services, Health Promotion for Staff and Family Community Involvement
Safe Routes to School
Roseville Area Schools participates in Safe Routes to School (SRTS) as part of SHIP. This is not just a single program but a comprehensive strategy to support safe walking, biking, and rolling to and from school.
The strategy aims to:
- Increase physical activity in children by encouraging walking, biking, and rolling to and from school
- Create safe paths where there are none so everyone has the opportunity to walk, bike, and roll
- Walk and Bike Education offered in school and out of school time such as Walk Bike Fun Curriculum created by Blue Cross Blue Shield, MN Bike Alliance and MNDOT
- Offer Ambassador Training to support Safe Routes to School Initiatives such as Bike Rodeos in partnership with Parks and Recreation and Law Enforcement
How You Can Help
Parents and teachers can help students make healthier choices. Click the links below to learn more about bringing SHIP ideas into the home and classroom.
- Healthy Classroom Rewards
- Activity Ideas for Parents
- Walk and Bike to School Events
- Alternative Fundraising Ideas
- Healthy Celebration Ideas
Anyone can help the community live healthier! Volunteer as a crosswalk guard at a Bike and Walk to School event, donate healthy snack options at the school food shelf, and more! For volunteer opportunities, contact Kim Kelly at email@example.com.